Sunday 11 May 2014

How I Survived the Third Year of my Degree

I have just had the hand in for my third and final year of my degree in graphics at John Moores University.
I have been sick, fainted and had numerous panic attacks.
I have never been so stressed in my entire life.
However, I have SURVIVED.
 
I feel like this blog post may be just the thing to rationalise to myself through a stream of consciousness and waffling how I have managed this feat.
I made myself get into a routine of getting up early at seven and out of the house to get to uni at nine. This routine was my absolute life saver, getting into a routine was one of the only things of regularity and solidness to cling on to in such a massive time of uncertainty and change and the grim reaper of the scary future looming over my shoulder every day.
 
The ultimate fear and panicking uncertainty of the mind numbing question "What are you going to do after you finish university?" is unbelievable and best ignored and channelled into the energy to make things. It is shit when you get asked it, even though most of the people asking you it are the ones you love dearly. Coming up with an answer to spit out is always useful though, mine was and is "I'm going to look at funding opportunities and internships after my hand in." A lot of people seem to believe this and I must admit that I am starting to believe it myself. Another little nugget of certainty to cling on to.
 
Snacks are the best thing ever to have existed. Doing a twelve hour day in uni is impossible without them. Also, a kettle in the studio, a reviving cup of tea can always work wonders.
Thanks for the life skills and the squirreling gene Mum.
 
One thing I have managed to console myself with at the worst times of panic about the future is that all the adults I know have managed to get where they are today and they must have all been in an uncertain position as me at some point. This thought led to the mantra 'Everyone figures it out in the end." which has been a bit of a life belt for sanity.
 
Here are some photographs of my working space and final pieces that have been made in said space.
 
 
Desk nest with Harry Potter audiobook playing.
(Another Life Saver)
 
Organised desk for once.

Final hand in.
Somehow looking a bit empty for the amount of work involved.
C'est la vie..
 
My final portfolio, office style.

Branding project final shoot.  


Liverpool Museum Archive final book.
 
My website is also finished with more photos of my finished work for further perusal: www.victoriajosephine.com
 
Now real life must begin I suppose...
but first, a rest and a sleep must be had, for sanity's sake.
All grown ups figure it out in the end.
Love and Fishes,
Victoria
X
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment